The Centre for African Studies maintains exchange agreements with the following universities:
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of the Western Cape, South Africa
- Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
The agreements allow for a fee-waiver on the basis of reciprocity. The availability of positions depends on the balance of incoming vs. outgoing students in the respective programme.
Suitable (outgoing) candidates are selected on the basis of a comprehensive application to be submitted to the teaching commission of the Centre for African Studies. The application should comprise the following documents:
- letter of motivation/application
- short CV
- comprehensive transcripts
- copies of diploma
- proof of proficiency in English
- two letters of reference of faculty members of the University of Basel
The exchange is open to students from the disciplines contributing to the interdisciplinary MA-course in African Studies at the University of Basel. The following factors are taken in account:
- academic motivation and suitability
- personal motivation and interpersonal skills
- importance and value of the sojourn abroad and the respective academic programme for the candidate's academic curriculum (i.e. for the preparation of the BA- or MA-thesis)
- academic specialisation in Africa
Students at the partner university (i.e. incoming students) apply to the respective International Office, or the committee handling the selection of students. In general interested students should submit their application to this committee well in advance, in general by the end of March and September respectively. The Centre for African Studies Basel can provide information and advise on the academic programme in the respective semester.
For further information contact veit.arlt-at-unibas.ch.