Hinweis: Im Zusammenhang mit der Corona-Pandemie kommt es bei vielen Veranstaltungen zu Einschränkungen, Verschiebungen und Absagen. Bitte konsultieren Sie die Website der jeweiligen Veranstalter für weitere Informationen.
University of Basel
swisspeace course: Dealing with the Past & Conflict Transformation Course
Learn about the design and implementation of effective and transformative dealing with the past processes.
Finding a way to deal with a violent past following events such as civil war, the end of an authoritarian regime or occupation, is often argued to be the basis for lasting peace, democracy and rule of law. International advocacy networks, norms and legal frameworks support national and local actors in the design of mechanisms and processes, such as with truth commissions, tribunals or commemorations. The interactions of these actors shape whether or not a particular dealing with the past process succeeds in being locally relevant and effective. This course examines the potentials and challenges for the design and implementation of dealing with the past processes. Engaging with key debates in the field, it focuses on how to ensure that dealing with the past processes support the transformation of violent conflicts.
In this course participants will:
- acquire a thorough understanding of transitional justice, the right to know, the right to reparations, the right to justice as well as guarantees of non-recurrence.
- get to know ‘local’ approaches to dealing with the past and ‘international’ frameworks.
- reflect on practices of inclusion in dealing with the past processes.
- learn about transformative approaches to dealing with the past.
- exchange experiences and become part of a community of practice.
Veranstaltung übernehmen als iCal