Call for abstracts: Policy papers on climate change and migration in Africa
The Africa Portal, in conjunction with the South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA) and the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), seeks abstracts focused on its second thematic series, Climate Change and Migration in Africa.
A panel of experts will select 8-10 abstracts and invite the authors to develop these into policy briefs. The authors will then work closely with experts to build their abstracts into actionable policy briefs that will be published on the Africa Portal. A monetary token will be awarded to the authors of the three best publications, as selected by the panel.
Suggested focus areas could include but are not limited to:
- The potential for and risks of migration as a response to climate change;
- Building capacity to improve relocation and response policies in anticipation of climate and seasonal migration and major climatic events;
- The international community’s role in helping low-income countries fund and implement adaptation/mitigation strategies;
- Mainstreaming migration into development policy;
- Regional and global instruments such as the Kampala Convention, the OAU Convention on Refugees and the Global Compact on Migration; and
- International law and the protection of climate migrants and IDPs.
Closing date for submissions: 19 January 2020