Job: Postdoctoral position in Humanistic Migration Studies (UiB, Norway)
University of Bergen (UiB, Norway)
The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral position in Humanistic Migration Studies
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral position at the Department of Foreign Languages, by plan starting 1 January 2018. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years.
The Department of Foreign Languages spans nine different languages, and teaching and research are conducted in the disciplines language/linguistics, literature, cultural studies and didactics (uib.no/en/fremmedsprak). The Department has around 50 permanent academic staff members, along with one post-doc, around twenty PhD candidates and eleven administrative members of staff.
The position is within Humanistic Migration Studies with special emphasis on language, literature and/or culture.
The applicants may define their own projects, but the project must be embedded in one of the disciplines at the Department. Possible topics include, but are not limited to
- Exile and migration literature.
- Migrant narratives and the rhetoric of migration.
- Multicultural societies and cultural innovation.
- Identity, self-understanding and social integration.
- Transnational, transcultural and/or trans-modern perspectives on migration and globalization.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- The candidate must hold a Norwegian PhD-degree or an equivalent degree with relevance for the discipline, or have submitted his or her doctoral dissertation for evaluation within the closing date of the application. It is a condition for appointment that the dissertation is approved.
- The applicants must be able to work independently in a well-structured way and have good cooperation skills.
In assessing the applications, both the academic quality of the project and the applicant’s academic qualification will be considered (publications and other relevant experience).
In cases where ranked applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, strategic considerations, motivation and the applicant’s personal eligibility will also weigh in.
About postdoctoral positions
Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions and the main goals of the positions are to qualify the successful candidate for professional top positions. The duration of the postdoctoral position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with teaching, dissemination of results and administration.
Applicants shall put forward a proposal for a project for qualifying work. The proposal shall include a progress plan. It is a premise that the selected candidate will complete the project within the stipulated period of employment.
Candidates cannot be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution.
The postdoctoral position demands that the applicant has his or her regular workplace at the University of Bergen, Department of Foreign Languages and comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
We can offer
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 57 (Code 1352/Pay range 24) in the state salary scale, currently approx. NOK 486.100 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits.
How to apply: Applications must be sent electronically via the link on this site: “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”. The applicant must use the electronic CV-form. The application must include
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these must be the main advisor for the PhD-thesis.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, and diploma for the PhD or documentation showing that the thesis has been submitted for assessment.
- A short summary of the PhD-thesis (up to 3 pages).
- Relevant certificates/references.
- A summary of the proposed project (up to 5 pages, excluding the bibliography).
- A progress plan for the proposed project.
- Bibliography for the proposed project.
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. Attachments can be either in Word of pdf-format.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Coordinator of Research, Randi Koppen on email randi.koppen-at-uib.no or telephone (+47) 55 58 23 68 or Research Advisor Jan A. Johansen on email jan.johansen-at-uib.no or telephone (+47) 55 58 93 78.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Questions or inquiries about the electronic application process can be directed to: fakadm-at-hf.uib.no.
Application deadline: 1 September 2017
Reference no: 17/7976
Further information: Educaloxy
If you apply for this position please say you saw it on Educaloxy.