Job: Two Research Fellowships on "Judicial Independence in New Democracies"
The German Institute on Global and Area Studies (GIGA) in Hamburg seeks to hire two Research Fellows for half-time positions. The successful candidate will work in the Pakt für Forschung (WGL) project entitled “Judicial Independence in New Democracies”.
Applications are invited for 2 half-time positions, each with a contract of 3 years, starting 1 May 2011 or later. The salary is commensurate with 13 TV-AVH / TVöD.
The successful candidate will work in the Pakt für Forschung (WGL) project entitled “Judicial Independence in New Democracies”. The project explores the impact of political and institutional factors on the degree of judicial independence in two regions – South America and sub-Saharan Africa – by using a cross-regional design. The project is located within the framework of Comparative Area Studies and deals with three systematically selected countries in each region (Argentina, Chile, Paraguay; Benin, Mali, Senegal). Each appointed researcher will work on 2 of the case studies in the South American/sub-Saharan African regions as well as contribute to the overall and regional analyses.
- Ph.D. in Political Science, or the intention of writing a Ph.D.
- Methodological knowledge (neo-institutionalism, small-N comparative approach and/or so-cial sciences quantitative methodology)
- A minor in Law and/or expertise in judicial independence as well as expertise in at least one of the two regions of study (or in any of the selected countries) are regarded as advantages but not requirements
- Interest in cross-regional research
- Very good knowledge of 1) written and spoken English and 2) Spanish or French
- Willing and able to take on weeks of fieldwork at a time
- Ability to work in a team
The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please send your application and relevant supporting documentation (CV, credentials, list of publications, max. 2 work samples (preferably thesis/dissertation), names and contact information for two references) to:
GIGA Institute of Latin American Studies
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
E-Mail: ilas-at-giga-hamburg.de (e-mail applications are preferred, max. 2 attachments)
Screening of applications will begin on 10 March 2011.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de) or contact Dr. Mariana Llanos (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 (0) 428 25-766).