Call for Chapters: "Rethinking Childhoods in Africa: An Anthology"
Call for Chapters in English for Edited Volume
Publisher: Vernon Press
- Prof. Charles Quist-Adade, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey, BC, Canada
- Prof. De-Valera Botchway, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana.
- Dr. Awo Abena Amoa Sarpong, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana.
For this edited volume, we hope to have a coherent congregation of chapters presenting original research that focuses on the psychology, sociology and history of the condition of childhood in Africa. We intend to move away from the traditional examination of the child solely, to the exploration of childhood in Africa. We are also interested in the different rationalisations and conceptions of childhood, a diversity of aspects and ramifications of childhoods, from purely African and Africa centred perspectives.
The enquiry into aspects of childhood, such as childhood belongings, and the cultures of childhood, has been most amplified in countries in the Global North of Europe and North America in recent times. Africa has a large youth population and children make up a significant percentage of that demography. Yet the study about childhoods in Africa is still in its nascency. Worse, the scholarly studies of the life of children in Africa have mostly looked at children as victims of social injustice and exploitation and persons living on the peripheries of the world of adults. But there are more regions, surprisingly happy and hope-giving ones, worth interrogating. These include creative expression in childhood, perceptions of happiness in childhood, childhood versus adultism, childhood spirituality, hijacked childhoods and brave negotiations of safe havens for self-expression, and child(ren) constructed understandings of the African childhood.
The edited volume will bring together the composite analyses and interpretations and stories and case studies about various aspects of childhood in Africa by scholars who focus on African society, culture, education and history. It will investigate childhood and the child(ren) actor(s) across different stages of personhood development, and times and spaces on the African continent.
- Submission of abstracts and drafts:30th June 2017.
- Review of abstracts and papers: 30th July 2017
- Editing and submission of First Draft: 30th August 2017
- Submission of Final Draft: 30th October 2017
- Papers go to the publisher: 30th November 2017
- Publication: December 2017
Please submit a 400 word abstract, and your manuscript which should be between 7000 to 8000 words, and a 300-400 word academic biography including your qualifications, area(s) of research interest and relevant recent publications as an email attachment with “Childhoods in Africa Book” in the subject line to the editors:
- Prof. Charles Quist-Adade, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey, BC, Canada Email: cquistadade-at-gmail.com and charles.quist-adade-at-kpu.ca
- Prof. De Valera Botchway, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana Email: de-valera.botchway-at-ucc.edu.gh and jahiital-at-yahoo.com
- Dr. Awo Abena Amoa Sarpong, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana. Email: asarpong-at-ucc.edu.gh and awosarpong-at-gmail.com
Please direct requests for any additional information to the editors via the email addresses provided above.
Further information: Flyer (pdf)