/ Research, Doctorate/PhD
Job: Post-Doc Researcher, Political Aspects of the Restitution of Colonial Stolen African Art/Cultural Objects
Arnold-Bergstraesser-Institut, Freiburg i.Br., Germany
The Arnold Bergstraesser Institute Freiburg (Germany) is seeking to fill the position of
Post-Doc Researcher (Salary Level TVL 13/75%)
Political Aspects of the Restitution of Colonial Stolen African Art/Cultural Objects
The successful candidate is expected to start by the 1st October 2022 and will be appointed for a period of two years.
- Completed PhD in political sciences, sociology or related subjects
- Thematic interest in the field of European-African colonial history and German, French, Belgian or British Africa politics
- Established publication record
- Very good English, German, and French language skills
- Fieldwork experience and willingness to conduct fieldwork in Africa
- Intercultural awareness
- Experience in the acquisition and management of third-party funded research projects is advantageous
The position will explore and research the complex political questions in Europe and Africa regarding the preparation, implementation and consequences of the restitution of art and cultural objects, stolen during colonial times. Questions of power imbalances, legitimacy, representation, participation, negotiation processes are to be considered. International, domestic and local dimensions of politics are equally interesting.
Application deadline: 4 September 2022