Music at the Centre for African Studies Basel
/ News, Events
Artist in residence: Romy Brauteseth (Johannesburg)
Romy Brauteseth is an integral part of the South African jazz scene. In April/May and August/September she will be artist in residence in Basel, develop two new musical projects and work on a book project.
Romy Brauteseth is an integral part of the South African jazz scene. Accordingly, the much sought-after bassist has repeatedly been present in Basel as a strong and empathetic accompanist, impressing her audience. For a period of three months split into two sojourns in April/May and August/September she will be artist in residence in Basel with support from Pro Helvetia.
Together with her congenial partner Marcus Wyatt, Romy documented the South African jazz scene in her basement studio during the lockdown and regularly published the high-quality videos on the Youtube channel House on the Hill, thus contributing to the survival of the scene and the musicians. The studio was also the place to try out new ideas and form new musical partnerships, among them the drummer Siphiwe Shiburi who in August will visit Basel for the first time, when Romy will curate a week-long program at the jazz club the bird's eye..
Concerts with Romy Brauteseth as sidewoman at the jazz club the bird's eye:
- 21.04.2023 Keenan Ahrends Quintet
- 22.04.2023 Keenan Ahrends Quintet
- 30.04.2023 Sisonke Xonti Quartet
- 02.05.2023 Mthunzi Mvubu Quartet
- 03.05.2023 Feya Faku Quintet
Concerts with Romy Brauteseth as band leader at the jazz club the bird's eye
- 23.08.2023 Romy Brauteseth Quintett – Five Rooms
- 24.08.2023 Romy Brauteseth Quintett – Five Rooms
- 25.08.2023 Romy Brauteseth Quartett - Outline (also from 16:00-18:00 at the Museum Tinguely)
- 26.08.2023 Romy Brauteseth Quartett - Outline