Music at the Centre for African Studies Basel
/ Research, Events
ZASB at the VAD conference
At the conference of the Association for African Studies in Germany (VAD) in Freiburg im Breisgau (7-10 June), members of the Research Network Africa will convene a roundtable and several panels. In addition, the ZASB invites all conference participants to a reception and concert in the evening of the first conference day.
Social and cultural programme hosted by the ZASB
On 8 June 2022 at the end of the afternoon program (6pm), the ZASB offers all conference participants opportunity to meet and greet over a drink at the conference venue (KGI, Prometheus hall next to the publishers’ exhibition). Later in the evening, at 8pm, we invite participants for a Jazz night with Kesivan Naidoo and the Swiss Jazz Orchestra – a unique experience and premiere. The Swiss Jazz Orchestra presents the compositions of acclaimed South African drummer Kesivan Naidoo, the SJO will also feature Linda Sikhakhane (saxophone, Johannesburg) and Lee Thompson (trumpet, Johannesburg). After the big band Naidoo, Sikhakhane and Thompson will team up with pianist Jason Reolon (Cape Town) and bass player Christoph Utzinger (Bern) for an additional set of South African jazz tunes.
Roundtable convened by the “Reversing the Gaze” project
Panels convened by ZASB members
- Afr04a: Creative knowledge production and alternative approaches in African Studies I and Afr04b
- Decol07a: Translate a scientific concept into an African language I and Decol07b
- Decol11: Translating concepts from Africa to Europe
- Eur08: The politics and epistemic value of positionality
- Fra07: Land tenure as discursive practice: politics of land law between local African practices and French legacies