Job: Internship on Hybrid governance, Sahel and West Africa, Clingendael Conflict Research Unit (CRU)
Institute of International Relations 'Clingendael', Netherlands
The Clingendael Conflict Research Unit (CRU) has two internship positions opening for the team working on hybrid governance in the Sahel. The internship lasts six months from 15 July 2023 – 14 January 2024 (effectively starting on the 17 July 2023 and ending on the 12 January 2024).
The intern would provide research assistance for projects on local governance structures in Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso (as well as spillover to West Africa) as part of a broader political economy analysis of the Sahel region and specifically, s/he will:
- Conduct data collection and qualitative content analysis of different social media platforms, such as Twitter, Youtube, Facebook and relevant media outlets;
- Conduct literature reviews;
- Contribute to writing background material, drafts, and web content.
- Provide assistance for the organization of (closed) events as part of research projects and for the dissemination of research findings.
Qualifications and experience
- BA degree relevant for this internship and current enrolment for MA degree (e.g. African studies, political science/IR, conflict studies).
- Fluent or mother tongue in French, affinity with politics and conflict dynamics in Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso or West Africa
- Excellence in research and research methods, good English writing skills.
- Service minded, social skills, capable of reaching deadlines.
- Capable of working independently on the basis of instructions, team player.
- Network-oriented, feeling at home in international environment.
- Enrollment in an MA program
- EER/Switzerland nationality OR holder of a Dutch study visa
- The opportunity to gain practical, policy-oriented research experience in one of Europe’s top ranking think tanks, in close cooperation with our researchers and stakeholders as policy makers, academics and (international) organizations. Ability to build up a network in the field.
- A stipend of € 500,- gross per month (in case of 36 hours per week).
Application deadline: 15 June 2023